Tuesday, October 23, 2007

the financial district.

Having now been in this vicinity daily for almost a week, i can safely say that it is a zone of what I think i'll call Perpetual Visual Screech. I don't know how people do it. It's too much. Exhausting for my head.
There's this constant implicit agenda: into the building: make your money, out of the building: spend it.
And it's easy enough. People do like easy...
And, not to deny you my little ponderous philosophical thought garnered from all this: money/financial gain is like evidence for the faithless. It's empirical, evaluable (word?), visible, and exchangeable.
For a wealth of goods that are Completely Fucking Useless.
I know. A Remarkable Talent for stating the Obvious.
But I CANNOT.BELIEVE.HOW.EFFICIENTLY.THIS.KEEPS.PEOPLE.IN.LINE.

If i ever needed more evidence of what part of the menu to look at (ingredients vs. cost), or whether to just stay home and cook, this is it.

2 comments:

JP said...

Are all goods that can be purchased with money completely fucking useless? Are they useless because they are purchaseable?

stef lenk said...

I don't know. But that reminds me of this comment a guy made in a university poetry class i sat in on , like, 12 years ago, where we were talking (of course) about impoverished poets etc, and he said "How good would poetry be if we could all make a living at it?"
I think about this often.