Sunday, June 29, 2008

worth pondering.

I had two separate conversations today about signposts, that is, the rituals we choose to go through to signify our own progress for ourselves, development as people, etc etc. If one chooses the route of marriage, children, houses, religion, career, etc, it's all very clear. But what are those rituals when the above are not the ready choices for any given person?
Self-created ones, to be sure. But the fact that we all need rituals and signposts, wherever they come from, is a fact to me. That is, one can get away from the pre-conceived rituals, but I don't know if one can get away, peaceably, without ritual itself. And I don't know that I would ever want to.
Ho Hum.

2 comments:

North said...

I don't know why you wouldn't want ritual -- for one, it's seems to be a need we all have. All the better that we can make it fun and custom fit instead of being a bunch of stuff that has to be done without even knowing the reason.

Isn't it amazing how symbolic times add meaning that make their impact more memorable, good and bad ("He never even mentioned me at his speech in the wedding. I'll never forgive him for it.")

Mostly I want to use rituals that make my life better as mental reference points. For my un-baptism, the process of change is actually been glacially slow (started years ago, will continue years afterward), but the ceremony is giving my a happier mental reference point to peg my worrying thoughts on.

stef lenk said...

I would never say no to ritual. If nothing is sacred, nothing is interesting! However, the question becomes, how far does one go before ritual becomes obsession or delusion?
That in all things; public and personal.
I think most peoples' conventional rituals are taking them further away from themselves. (unlike your upcoming ritual)
I think my rituals take me away from other people, which isn't exactly healthy either
(shrug) Who knows. Works-in-progress, we all are.